Why St. Mary's?
Parents, teachers, students, and the overall culture of St. Mary's are the reasons we are so successful. Our parents care, our teachers are experts with commitment, and our students are interested in succeeding. This is in large part because they see the Christian, hardworking academic lives of the older students, and they aspire for the same. In addition, we have a student culture of giving, hard work, personal responsibility, respect for others, and kindness.
St. Mary’s is a hometown school where students have achieved big things: Robotics National champions, City Art Contest winners, National Reading Contest winners, top sports teams in the Archdiocese, and successful graduates who have gone on to succeed in very diverse career fields.
Did You Know That St. Mary's School...
- assists our students to learn self-discipline and healthy study habits amidst a challenging curriculum
- provides a strong partnership with our parents regarding the faith formation of their children
- has a very active, respected, and successful Home & School Association (PTA)
- provides for daily exposure to the Catholic faith, which is so important for developing a strong religious foundation
- uses technology effectively to enhance the education of our students
- instills in our students the value of service to others
- promotes reverence for the dignity of every person, which comes from recognizing Jesus Christ in the "self" as well as in "others"
- has developed a "Buddy System" over the years which matches up students from different grade levels - the students attend Mass together as well as complete special activities and projects
St. Mary's School Welcomes All Military Families!
St. Mary's School is just minutes away from the Bellevue Gate at Offutt Air Force Base. All students PK-8th grade may attend our extended day program. We also offer an after school homework room for 6th through 8th grades. This room provides a quiet space for students to work on any homework they may have in a space that allows them to concentrate and with a teacher present to help with any questions they may have. Offutt Air Force Base is such a big part of our community here at St. Mary's and we welcome all military families to join us!
How does a small school with limited resources have so many students with such diverse successes? The secret is our drive for academic diversity and self-directed academics. We subscribe to the educational learning theory that focuses on challenging different parts of the human brain in order to increase total learning power. That is why art, reading, spirituality, mathematics, playing a musical instrument, music, technology, religion, drama, sports, reading out loud, and foreign languages are a part of the curriculum from Pre-K to 8th grade. This cross-brain stimulation results in children with incredible learning skills. In addition, from the earliest grades St. Mary’s children are taught to work independently. For example, every day our Kindergartners are responsible for working on their mathematics and language skills at academic “stations” for development each day. They do their work in the order they desire. This gives them control and develops their own drive and natural curiosity to learn new things. This continues and expands in the older grades.
Our complex curriculum is integrated and accredited by the State of Nebraska. In addition, we have outstanding electives, sports, and extracurricular activities for our students that compound on their learning variety including: band (taught with Gross High School), chess club, volleyball, basketball, robotics as a part of the STEM curriculum, WITS Clash, Battle of the Books, Spelling and Geography Bees, art education and contests, yearbook, STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics), and drama. Test scores of our students are routinely at the top when compared to students across the nation. Our students develop the academic depth and unquenchable curiosity that will allow them to continue teaching themselves for the rest of their lives.
We've also developed a faith-based culture that teaches our children how to live a Catholic lifestyle. Our students live the Catholic life by celebrating Mass and receiving the Sacraments, as well as living the "Love Thy Neighbor" teaching by mentoring the younger students, working with the elderly, and working on projects for those in need. See it, Do it, Know it, Live it. They learn love by living it.
Living a loving Catholic life helping others also means a successful life. No matter what twists, turns, and difficulties they may face, our children will be armed with the life skills they need to succeed. Your child will have the faith, prayer life, and beliefs to keep going in the face of deep adversity. The academic and socialization skills they learn at St. Mary’s will assure them success in college, in work, and in life.
Top 10 Reasons to Consider St. Mary's School
As you make decisions for your children’s future, I encourage you to consider these 10 reasons why St. Mary’s School might be a good fit for your son or daughter:
- Faith-based education
- Fully accredited
- Small class sizes with individualized attention
- Well-rounded class schedule that includes Art, Music, PE, Spanish, STREAM, and STEM.
- A challenging and rigorous curriculum
- A safe, loving, and disciplined school Environment
- A community of service, forming Disciples
- Compassionate and dedicated Staff
- Breakfast/Hot Lunch Programs & Before and After School Care
- Affordable tuition payment
Fr. Del Lape - Pastor of St. Mary’s Parish
St. Mary's School Presentation
Click here to view a presentation of an overview of all the wonderful aspects St. Mary's has to offer.